The seeds of 葡京备用网址app下载 were planted in 1902
... when an urgent need for quality education met the vision, will and generosity of our legendary founder Martha Berry.
The daughter of a prosperous local business owner, Miss Berry began offering Sunday school lessons to serve nearby communities that lacked access to both church and school. 被她努力的结果所鼓舞, Miss Berry decided in 1902 to devote the 83 acres she had inherited from her father to found the Boys Industrial School. Her premise was simple: In exchange for a quality education, the students would work to help run and maintain their school.
Across the years, we’ve remained true to Miss Berry’s founding values. 头脑的问题, heart and hands lie at the center of our approach to intellectual development, 社区生活和个人成长.
Students still contribute their effort and energy to help run their college. A culture of mentorship remains the essence of who we are. And we are steadfast in our commitment to partnering with students and their families to make this education—and its lifelong value—possible.
- 1902 – 创办男子工业学校
- 1909 – Addition of Martha Berry School for Girls
- 1914 - Implementation of “work” as an integral component of the Berry education. By contributing to the running of their college, students helped keep operating costs low.
- 1926 – The school became a junior college and soon after a senior college.
- 1930 – Miss Berry gained national renown for her educational efforts including being named by Good Housekeeping magazine as one of the nation's 12 most influential women.
- 1930's – The College footprint grew to 30,000 acres, an expansion made possible through Miss Berry’s relentless fundraising efforts, which included a landmark gift from Henry and Clara Ford to fund the construction of Berry’s iconic Ford Complex.
- 1932 – 贝瑞学院的第一批学生毕业了.
- 1956 – The College began a robust development of its liberal arts and professional program offerings, 由总统约翰。R. 贝特朗.
- 1957 – Berry was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary 学校. 入学 efforts were expanded to include urban areas, non-traditional students and commuters.
- 1960's/70's – Berry enacted a series of cultural reforms, that included paying student workers instead of crediting accounts, ending mandatory religious services and conducting national 搜索es for faculty members.
- 2002-2006 – Berry created a state-of-the-art science center (now called McAllister Hall), restored the historic Ford Complex (with a new alumni center) and renovated the Cook Building as a teacher education facility.
- 2006年7月 – Stephen R. 布里格斯成为了贝利的第八任总统.
- 2008 – 131000平方英尺的Steven J. Cage Athletic and 娱乐 Center opened, providing a stunning and state-of-the-art home for intercollegiate athletics and establishing a new focal point for campus life.
- 贝瑞加入了安纳波利斯集团， a prestigious organization of leading national independent liberal arts colleges.
- The institution began its transition to NCAA Division III, eventually becoming a founding member of the Southern Athletic Association, a conference made up of academically selective residential liberal arts colleges throughout the region.
- Berry created the Gate of Opportunity Scholarship to provide motivated students who possess a strong work ethic the opportunity to experience the Berry education and graduate debt-free.
- 2014 -现在- Berry continues to grow Gate of Opportunity Scholarship, has established academic centers for integrity in leadership and entrepreneurship and has dramatically enhanced campus offerings by building/renovating a variety of new facilities, 包括:
Valhalla stadium, Williams Field and Clark Track & Dickey领域(2015)
在葡京备用网址app下载的罗马网球中心, the nation’s largest hard court facility and home to Vikings Tennis (2016)
姐妹剧院, a 9,226 square-foot addition to Blackstone Hall that includes a black-box stage (2017)
The Christopher Browning Pavilion at 橡树山 5,760-square-foot event facility (2018)
The Betty Anne Rouse Bell Recital Hall at historic Ford Auditorium (2020)
费尔菲尔德酒店 & Suites by Marriott hotel adjacent to the 在葡京备用网址app下载的罗马网球中心 (2021)
23,000-square-foot Animal Science Building which houses the college’s largest and most distinctive major. 15美元.7 million building is connected to the School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences (2021)
- The 橡树山 Residences, adjacent to the grounds of 橡树山 & 玛莎·贝里博物馆, are the most recent student housing addition and the first off-campus facility complete with resident assistants and staff members on site (2021)